I noticed on the syllabus that one of our weekly topics later this summer will focus on games & libraries, so I thought some of you might be interested in an upcoming free webinar titled "Play, Learn, Innovate. An OCLC/Library Journal online symposium." Here is the description from the event's website (www.oclc.org/innovation).
"We're told that to be successful, we need to innovate, both for ourselves and on behalf of our organizations. But is there a fundamental disconnect between how we use imagination, planning and goal setting in our leisure time and how we get things accomplished at work?
New ways in which play overlaps with learning, media, social interaction, work and creativity provide clues about how "fun" may be the most efficient way to get something serious accomplished.
And fun may be the secret ingredient your innovation efforts are missing."
The webinar takes place on Tuesday, June 7, at 1 pm Eastern time. If interested, you can register at www.oclc.org/innovation.
Thanks for the link! This is a particular interest of mine, especially the role of video games in the library (both in terms of drawing in patrons as well as the preservation and archiving of games as a media format).
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely going to check out the 8BitLibrary website mentioned there (never heard of it before) ... If anyone else is interesting in gaming at the library in general, I suggest you look up the works of Scott Nicholson; he ran an online course on the subject a couple years back that is archived here.
I know Scott Nicholson, he has done some interesting things. 8BitLibrary has a twitter feed, btw.
ReplyDeleteSuellen, I remember talking about your work with video games with you in the past, so I figured you and Scott probably crossed paths at some point :)
ReplyDelete