The article "Library 2.0: revolution or evolution?" by Kwanya, et. al., provides a concise definition of Library 2.0, as well as a helpful summary of both arguments surrounding the evolution/revolution debate. Personally, I really don't think Library 2.0 can be considered a revolution. For many years, librarians have had to adapt to new materials and technologies and have succeeded in doing so. From the card catalog to CD-ROMs to the modern electronic databases, librarians have a reputation for their ability to learn and use new concepts/technologies and teach others how to use them.
The advent of social media does not seem so different from the change that occurred when most libraries switched from the card catalog to the OPAC for searching their collections. The biggest change here is that users now have more of a say in what they want to see in the library and its services. While Library 2.0 will require some effort on the part of the librarians in learning how to effectively navigate and use the new sites and tools, in the end it will primarily help librarians and library staff to better serve their patrons. Librarians have always aimed to identify patrons' needs and serve those needs as much as possible. By providing an easier way for users to express their ideas and needs, social media tools actually help librarians by taking some of the guesswork out of this process.
While I agree that Library 2.0 tools will play a larger role in the workings and services of the library, I don't think that terms like "cybrarian" adequately reflect the current duties of the librarian. Yes, librarians and their patrons rely more on electronic resources than they did in the past. However, I agree with the view that librarians will still need to be familiar with print and other traditional resources for some time to come -- in fact, I'm doubtful that print resources will ever completely disappear. As one example, the academic library where I work has most of its resources online in databases and e-books. However, on a daily basis I still have many students who come to the front desk looking for the core print resources we have on reserve there.
No comments:
Post a Comment